Premier Dental of Central Ohio offers sealants at its Grove City office. For an appointment, or for more information, contact us today or call (614) 871-0088.
What are dental sealants?
- Plastic coating places on the chewing surface of the permanent back teeth (molars & premolars.)
- Sealants protect the teeth from decay.
Dental sealants are plastic coatings that are usually placed on the chewing (occlusal) surface of the permanent back teeth — the molars and premolars — to help protect them from decay.
Why are sealants used?
The chewing surfaces of molar and premolar teeth have grooves that make them vulnerable to decay. Why?
- The fissures can be deep and narrow (narrower than a single bristle of a toothbrush!); difficult to clean these fissures
- Plaque accumulates in these areas and can be hard to remove
- When plaque gets in the fissures, the enamel gets attacked and cavities can develop
- When paired with fluoride, sealants are extra effective.
Can dental sealants be placed on adult teeth?
Yes — while less common, dental sealants are sometimes placed in adults at risk for cavities, on deep grooves and fissures that do not already have fillings or dental sealants.
What do dental sealants look like?
Dental sealants can be clear, white or have a slight tint, depending upon the dental sealant used.
How are dental sealants placed?
- Tooth is cleaned with a paste and rotating brush.
- Tooth is washed with water and dried.
- An acidic solution is placed on the fissured area of the tooth before being rinsed off and dried.
- Liquid dental sealant placed on the tooth and hardened, often with a light.
After the sealant is hardened, you can chew with the tooth again.
How long does a dental sealant last?
Dental sealants can last many years. If necessary, it is also possible to place a new dental sealant on the tooth.
Do I still need to use fluoride if I have dental sealants?
Yes. Dental sealants only protect the surface area that they are placed on. Fluoride helps protect all the surfaces of the tooth from decay and cavities.
For more information about our sealants in Grove City, Ohio, please get in touch or call (614) 871-0088.