Everything You Need to Know About Invisalign© in a minute!
By Mark Alexandrunas D.M.D. and Megan Kottman D.D.S.
with Premier Dental of Ohio
Invisalign is one of the biggest innovative and commercial breakthroughs in the history of dental care. The concept was conceived in 1997 by Stanford students who founded Allign Technologies, the same company that oversees the advancement of this technology today. Over 20 years from having received approval by the FDA Invisalign© has advanced its clear aligner technology through seven generations of product. With each generation the Invisalign© technology has expanded to address more advanced or challenging orthodontic cases previously addressed with traditional fixed wire braces.
FUN FACT – Today, over 2.4 Million patients have been treated with Invisalign© and over 80,000 dentists and orthodontists worldwide have been trained to deliver this treatment.
Invisalign© treatment starts by visiting a preferred Invisalign© provider for a quick but complete digital scan of your teeth. Once scanned the images are used to determine the amount of movement and the design of your custom made aligners. In some instances the scan may be able to illustrate the projected outcome of treatment. This is done by showing you your current smile and a preview of your smile that can be achieved with Invisalign© technology.
Once your aligners are made and shipped to your doctor you will be seen for a fitting at which time you will try on the first aligner in the series. You are to wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day. Each aligner is typically worn for 7 to 14 days until moving into the next aligner in the series. You will need to be seen by the doctor managing your case every 6 weeks to ensure that the desired movement is being achieved. Once you’ve progressed through your aligners a retainer will be provided to ensure your teeth do not shift back. Typically retainers are worn at night for 6 months to a year following treatment.
There are many advantages of Invisalign© over traditional wire braces. Most notably;
- Virtually Clear Aligners allow for the discreet movement of teeth.
- The ability to remove aligners when eating, brushing and flossing.
- Aligners are made of smooth comfortable plastic, no sharp wires or hard metal brackets.
- Invisalign Teen© provides up to six free replacement aligners if they are lost or broken.
- Less frequent office visits than required with traditional braces.
Who’s Using Invisalign©?
Most people think that braces are for children but the comfort, convenience and discreet appearance of Invisalign© have made adult patients the leading buyers of this product. To find out if Invisalign© is right for you call to schedule a free consultation with one of our dentists nearest you.
What will Invisalign© Cost?
Comfort and convenience aren’t the only advantages of Invisalign©. Cases typical range in cost between $3,000.00 to $8,000.00. However, there are many ways to make this treatment even more cost effective. They include the following.
- Invisalign© is partially covered by most PPO dental insurers. Typically they will provide between $500.00 – $2,500.00 depending on the case and age of the patient. Check with your provider for a summary of benefit.
- Invisalign© is an eligible expense for the use of Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flex Spending Account (FSA) funds which allow you to pay for health related goods and services with pre-tax money.
- Invisalign© providers will often offer a choice between a discount ($500.00 – $1,000.00) off treatment or interest free financing which offers the convenience of low monthly payments.
For more information on Invisalign© and its cost, contact our office nearest you for a consultation or visit the cost calculator on their website at www.invisalign.com/cost. Your best smile is waiting for you. Let our Dentists help you.